Sir Peter Maxwell Davies was one of the most influential pioneers in British music for more than half a century, creating ground-breaking works in all forms and areas of musical life, writing for all types of musician from famous virtuosi to children’s choirs and folk ensembles.
The English Chamber Orchestra is proud of its outreach programme, Close Encounters, which is run by the musicians in the orchestra and takes music into many settings within communities and schools around the UK and abroad.
Presenter Tom Service is joined by a host of artists and composers close to Max for this special evening in which we present his music alongside new works written in his memory.
- Peter Maxwell Davies Seven in Nomine
- Peter Maxwell Davies Sea Eagle for Solo Horn
- Colin Matthews New piece
- David Matthews New piece
- James MacMillan Seraph for Trumpet and Strings
- Peter Maxwell Davies Strathclyde Concerto No 5 for Violin and Viola
- Peter Maxwell Davies Farewell to Sromness for solo piano
Sir James MacMillan (conductor)
Alison Balsom (trumpet)
Daniel Hope (violin)
Lawrence Power (viola)
Simon Crawford-Philips (piano, director)
Richard Watkins (horn)
Tom Service (presenter)